Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Resurrection Eggs

For all of you 'young' parents out there, this is a reminder to bust out the Resurrection Eggs tonight. **Photograph courtesy of FamilyLife

We are exactly 12 days away from Easter (and there are 12 eggs!). This is such a great way to 'prepare' for Easter in a fun way with your kiddos. If you are local, I know that you can get them at CBO or any other Christian bookstore (and maybe even Wal-Mart!). If you're unfamiliar with Resurrection Eggs, below is the description off of FamilyLife's website:

Watch Easter come to life in little hands! Each of these twelve colorful plastic eggs holds a different memory-grabbing object to take Jesus’ journey to the cross and beyond right into your child’s heart. Easy-to-use from home to classroom to neighborhood hunt, our durable plastic egg carton also includes a bilingual booklet in Spanish and English, telling the story of each object in simple language for children. You’ll discover why two million have shared this life-changing message with children around the world!


Trey and I talk all the time how it feels like we are at the 'brink' of being able to do certain things with our kiddos especially concerning spiritual matters. There are moments that it feels like they are plenty old enough, but then there are other moments when it feels like there is no way on earth that they would 'get it'. Sometimes, I think you just have to take the plunge and go for it whether they truly get it or not. You have to start somewhere!

I actually miscounted the days until Easter so we started the 'Eggs' last night, and the boys really enjoyed it! We started out by 'hiding' the eggs around the room and having them 'find' them. Oh my! They thought this was the greatest thing on earth!! Then we each shook the egg and guessed what we thought was in it and then told the very short story about the object. PLEASE don't picture this perfect little family with everyone sitting in a semi-circle with legs crossed and hands folded. We definitely had our fair share of 'Please stop yelling!' 'Please do not jump off of that chair one more time!' 'If you bust your brother on the head with that again, you are going to get a spanking!' moments, but my prayer is that the simple truths we tell them now would stay with them forever. There is something so special about captivating one's heart for the Lord starting at a very young age!

I have always loved holiday traditions, and I always enjoyed these moments that I had with my family growing up. And it is so great as parents to actually take the time to prepare our hearts as well and really think about what Christ did for us at Easter. If you are like me, by the time I get the clothes figured out, the Easter goodies bought, any food made, the eggs died, and the Saturday Easter egg hunt over with, I typically wake up Easter morning thinking, 'Oh ya...thank you Lord! You really are what this day is all about.' I really don't want it to be that way this year!! So, if some simple little eggs can keep me on track, then more power to them!! Maybe these traditions are actually more for the parents than these little ones anyways!! ;)

**And just for kicks, have you ever seen two more capable cooks in the kitchen....Buzz Lightyear AND the Naked Cowboy?!?! How did I ever get so lucky?!?! Happy Wednesday!!

5 comments:

The Rippy's said...

These are hilarious!! Love the "naked cowboy!" Can't wait to take Alli out walking and we'll come by so ya'll can see her! Thanks again for all the pre-advice... Since she was 8 days late all I kept thinking of was you and everything you said and it made me feel SO much better. Love your sweet fam! :)

Stephanie said...

I ADORE these eggs! Ours are packed and I have been meaning to buy a new set. Great idea to do one a night leading up to Easter. We always did it all at once. MUCH smarter to do it that way. Love when you share your wise, practical Momma insight. Love and miss you friend, more than I can say!

Carman said...

What a great idea, Christina! We will definitely have to invest in some of these! Oh, and and those "Jayisms" in your previous post had me laughing pretty hard! Looking forward to seeing what my little girl's sense of humor is going to be like. :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Just saw this and not so sure that I want to eat what Buzz and Naked Cowboy concoct. And was a great reminder for Easter weekend, esp. with how busy things get. Reading this let me "slow down" and, once again, be very grateful for the Crucifixion and Resurrection. And,always fulfilled when we hear that you "girls" really enjoyed those traditions and are passing them on. He is Risen!!

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Elie Lash