The 'story' of
how Logan broke his femur was really not that exciting, traumatic, or even interesting, but I wanted to get on here and blog about how it happened simply so that I wouldn't forget. (I am forgetting more and more these days!!) It was a Monday night (Jan. 17th). Trey was at Bible study and I was getting the older boys dressed in their PJs to go to bed. Logan was standing on the Bumbo seat in the boys bedroom...on the floor...on the carpet. (For those of you that are unfamiliar with what a Bumbo is, here is a picture of one:)

I never once thought, 'Oh, that is so dangerous! Get off!' I mean, it is literally 3 inches off of the floor. He had his feet where the legs should go, and it somehow popped up on him. When it did, he stepped wide with his left leg to catch himself. Well, he missed his left leg and came crashing down in the splits position and basically landed with all of his body weight on his right femur bone. Being the mother to 3 boys, it is a very normal, every day (and all day!) occurrence for someone to be stumbling/falling on something. Logan started to cry, but I really did not think anything about it. I put him on my lap and we continued with our stories, songs, and prayers. By this point, he was still kind of whimpering, but I thought he was just tired and kind of aggravated. So, like any good mother would do, I just laid him down in his crib to go to bed. He normally will sit up or at least roll around when I first lay him down and he didn't do any of this. He would not move at all. At this point, I realized something wasn't right.

I put the other boys in bed and laid Logan on the couch to 'examine' him. I sent Trey a text that said, 'Will you call me? I think Logan broke his leg.' (He later said to me, 'Do you know how random and weird it is to get a text that says that!?' Ha!) But, I still really could not tell what part of his leg was hurt. He was fine if he was just laying there, but if I touched anything, he started howling. Bless his heart, I iced his ankle. I iced his kneecap. I iced his thigh. I iced his hip bone. I literally was clueless! There was no bone sticking out, no bruising, no swelling...nothing! My sis-n-law's mother is an amazing nurse and happened to be in town. So I called Amy (my sis-n-law) and they headed over. After Gail (Amy's Mom) looked at everything, she said she really couldn't tell exactly where he was hurt either, but told us to definitely make an appointment the next morning if he still wouldn't put any weight on it. So, I put him back in his crib and HE SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT!!


I, of course, hardly slept at all! I set the alarm for every hour and a half and got up all night long to check on him. The next morning, he still was just laying in his crib and wouldn't move at all so I made an appointment with our pediatrician. Same story... the pediatrician really could not get a good read on where he was in pain so they did an x-ray on the entire leg. Our doctor came back in the room, and said, "I have bad news. He broke his femur." I was literally shocked!! I cannot believe Logan's pain tolerance!! I have had numerous people tell me that he should be some kind of fighter or be in the army...it really is unreal. The child has always been like that. (When I took him in for his 18 month
WELL baby check, the doctor looked at me and goes, 'He has a double ear infection!' Oops!!)

They told me that he would need to have his cast put on at Children's, so off we go. (As a side note, Trey had to be out of town for work and our families were helping take care of the other boys...so it was just me and Logan.) When we got there at 11:30am, they told us that the doctor would not be there until 2pm. So, Logan and I had a little time to kill (with a broken femur, mind you!) I will never forget sitting in the waiting room with him as I was returning phone calls. He was sitting in his little umbrella stroller, and he reached out for my hand and we just sat there holding hands while I talked on the phone for like 30 minutes. It was the sweetest gesture ever!! Like he was saying, 'Mom, I'm a big boy and trying to be brave, but I might need just a little bit of comfort and want to know that you're right here.'

Once they took us back, the doctor asked me what questions I had. I said, 'I really have no clue what you guys are even going to do. Would you mind starting at square one?' The first words out of his mouth were, 'He will need a full body cast. It will go from his chest to his ankles. He will be in it for 5 weeks.' Wow! I wasn't expecting that!! He then proceeded to tell me that most children have to be sedated to get the cast, but that they would try without having to sedate him first. Then, he said that I would not get to be back there with him, and that we would need to stay overnight. Whew! I thought we were just going to show up, get a cast on one leg, and skip on home.


I cannot tell you how God just went before us and took care of us in so many ways. God definitely heard this little boy's (and Mama's!) prayers because the doctor came to take Logan back and looked at me and said, "I really don't mind if you go back there with us." (Thank you, Lord!) The entire process took about 2 hours. Logan cried pretty much the entire time, but was so cooperative and so sweet!! I was so amazed at my brave boy!! They did not have to sedate him, and then they told us that they would let us go home immediately if I felt comfortable with the diapering process. I won't go into the details (because this post is already way too long!), but the diapering process is definitely the hardest part about this entire process. It takes forever, you have to cut diapers to make them work, use a total of 3 different diapers with each diaper change, and be so cautious to keep the cast completely clean and dry. Logan was not a happy camper for the first few days of diaper changing, but he has gotten used to the idea and is much happier now!

I got 'trained' on the diapering process, made an appointment to come back and get his cast off (on Feb. 21st), rented out a special car seat (because he won't fit in his regular one with the cast), and then happily headed home after a stop at Sonic. I truly think I would have given Logan anything in the world that he had asked for because I was so proud of him and also felt so sorry for him!! (He just chose some chicken tenders!)

We arrived home to all kinds of family, friends, balloons, gifts, food, stuffed animals, and even new clothes (because he now has to wear 5T clothes in order to fit over his cast!)

It was a long and emotionally draining day, but it was also a day that I will forever remember as being so proud of Logan and being so thankful to God for 3 healthy boys! As traumatic as a full body cast can be for a 22 month old, it really pales in comparison to what so many other people have to deal with. Logan was such a trooper, and has continued to be. We have our good and bad days, but we're all adjusting to our 'new normal'....and we only have 3 more weeks to go!!!
**And if you read this entire post, you truly deserve some kind of 'faithful blog follower award'. I tried to keep this as concise as possible, but it still ended up super long!! :)
7 comments:
Christina! I guess at the time, you have to be calm and be the mom, but I can't resist thinking, "I'd be FREAKING out!!!!" I can't believe he slept all night. I think YOU deserve an award for getting your family and yourself through all of that relatively unscathed.
Spencer falls all of the time (usually on purpose), and I would not have thought anything about a little fall off of a bumbo either. Man.
You need to do a sequel post on how he has to be diapered. I'd find it interesting. =)
Oh my!!! You are such a great mom to remain so calm throughout that! He is such a little trooper, I'm glad he's okay!!
Logan is the sweetest boy EVER and I am not EVEN kidding when I say that I am praying for an arranged marriage for him and my Avery Kate. Imagine the holidays and fun times we could have in our future!!! :) Tell Trey I will make him his favorite dip whenever he wants! ha! I am still praying for ya'll every time God brings you to mind...which is often! I love ya and loved reading this!!
Bless his sweet little heart! What a trooper!
You are such a wonderful mother! I love reading your posts and hearing about your family :)
Bless his sweet little heart! He really is one tough cookie. I know how hard it is to watch your baby be casted, but not a full body cast. Your blog made me tear up. You are such a good mommy and those three little boys are so lucky to have you! Best wishes on the remaining 2 weeks in the cast!! :)
Girl - not a clue this all happened up here 11 hrs away! What an amazing little man. He is very blessed to have you as his mommy as well Christina. You are a wonderful mom to those three little boys. I'm prayerful as you face these last few weeks. I know you are willing to do what you need to to take care of that crew, but it doesn't mean it doesn't get tough! Prayers for you all!
Post a Comment